Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Girdle Books

Another project that I was working on in the last few months, was making a few more Girdle Book journals. I have made some before and each time, I tweak the process a bit. As always with the girdle books that I make, I'm not technically binding these like they would have been done historically - I'm playing the 'artistic license card' with a lot of the details. You can read a bit more about this structure in an earlier post. This time I sewed my own endbands which, I think, is a nice touch. This is how it looks after the text blocks are ready with endbands completed.


Some of them looked better than others in the end, here are a couple of the better ones up close.


I wanted to use my own marbled papers for the endpapers too so the endbands were made to coordinated with them.



I used leather for the coverings and added either metal corners or raised bands and each one has a clasp.




7 comments:

Blue Roof Designs said...

Your books are gorgeous! There's no shame in using the artistic license card - that's how craft evolves.

tammykingdon said...

Lovely as always

Lizzie said...

Well... what can I say, other than "Wow"! They are so beautifully crafted. I so like you you have used your own hand-marbled paper for the end-papers too - and stitched your own co-ordinating headbands.
And the metal corner details, plus clasps... and knots...

Well... just "Wow", really!

PrairiePeasant said...

Such wonderful attention to detail! These are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Those are AMAZING! Just beautiful!!

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Fabulous books!!!

MyHandboundBooks said...

Thanks BlueRoof, tammykingdon, Lizzie, PrairiePeasant, Parkside, and Cynnie!