At one time, I could not intentionally disassemble or destroy a book of any kind; however, I have gradually come to the conclusion that not all books need to be saved for eternity. So, now I do not mind re-purposing some of those books because the materials can certainly be used for other interesting things.
Wednesday, April 27, 2016
Saturday, April 09, 2016
I still have most of the books that I presented here as part of my 365 Books in 455 days project. Now I am trying to consolidate the storage since they were all over the place. Even trying to find them all proved quite a challenge.
Wednesday, March 30, 2016
I am breaking the rules again for the last book. Today's book is not a binding exactly, this is an altered book, called Blood, Sweat, & Tears: 365 Bindings. I cut the basic shape of the textblock (well, my Dad and his jigsaw cut it) and then I made three sealed compartments in the textblock where those blood, sweat, and tears are now saved. It was hard to save those things literally; so, I used bookbinding materials to represent them. The blood is a collection of little red leather circles. The sweat is curls of blotter paper. The tears are thin strips of silver stamping foil.
So that's it. The end of my 365 bindings project, which is now called the 365 Bindings in 455 Days project!
Tuesday, March 29, 2016
I made another model of a 14th Century stationary binding for today. This is based on the Secret Ledger and Memorial Book that belonged to Pepo Albizzi. I was able to examine a model of this binding and get notes about it from Barb Korbel a few years ago, so I think I managed a decent model based on that information.
Monday, March 28, 2016
I also found this alternate small 'C' coptic binding in Smith's Exposed Spine Sewings. It is rather different than other coptic-ish stitches that I have used and I really like it. The cover is made using a page from an old book, and it's a picture of a painting by Claude Lorrain. Particularly nice to do this friendly binding following yesterday's torturous book.
Sunday, March 27, 2016
So, here is one from Smith's book Exposed Spine Sewings. Oi. In the instructions, Smith should add something like, "Go ahead, try this one, I dare you." It was painful to make and when I first completed the sewing, I hated it. I decided that I would try to save it by adding all those strips of leather that are woven into the spine parallel to the sewing cords. After that, I didn't hate it as much.
Saturday, March 26, 2016
Shooting Star stitch on Andrea's moon paper. This is yet another 3-section sewing from Smith's book (1, 2 and 3-section Sewings). I have used a lot of the techniques from that book for my 365 bindings, but I actually did not use all of them - believe it or not!
Friday, March 25, 2016
One more Islamic binding to add to the list. I had this on my list from the very beginning and just finally tried it this week. Szirmai makes small mention of it in his book and it took me some time to track down more information - although there is not a lot of information about it (in English anyway) and not a lot of surviving evidence to examine either. Nonetheless, this is what I came up with based on what I could discover.
Thursday, March 24, 2016
Today's binding is an Islamic structure known as the full leather chahargoshe with a hard cover. It is characterized by the narrow leather edge all around the decorative paper on the cover - probably fabric is more traditional but for this one, I used some of my Ebru for the decorative element.
Wednesday, March 23, 2016
I found another 3-section binding in Smith's book that I had never done before and here it is. If you are comparing, my result looks rather different than Smith's model in his book, but I think it is just that my sewing holes are farther apart.
Tuesday, March 22, 2016
The structure of today's book is another one that Hedi Kyle devised for using the piano hinge technique to attach the folded textblock and two separate cover sheets. I had this technique on my list, from very early in my 365 bindings endeavor but messed it up several times; however, after some experimentation, I think I finally got it to come together as intended. There are instructions for this structure in Keith Smith's book, Non-adhesive Binding Vol 1.
Monday, March 21, 2016
Today's binding is an Ethiopian binding. The signatures are bound with an unsupported chain stitch, and although many of these wooden books were left uncovered, some were covered partially or fully in leather. The split braid leather headband was another traditional feature; this was my first time making them. I was so pleased with the split braids that I photographed them before attaching them to the book.
Sunday, March 20, 2016
This is the last binding that I have to show from my models of Langwe's Limp Bindings from the Vatican Library. It was another tricky one that was originally two distinct textblocks that were bound independently and later combined into a single volume.
Saturday, March 19, 2016
Thursday, March 17, 2016
Another limp binding based on the research of Monica Langwe and this one is modelled after a financial records book from the 1690s. It was a tricky one to emulate since there are two distinct textblocks inside, bound separately then combined.