Tuesday, November 20, 2007

My Apprentice

My little boy is 2 years and 10 months old and today he asked me to show him how to make a book. So we embarked on a 3-hole Pamphlet Project.

His technique with the bone folder needs some work but this was good for his first try:


We used the Japanese Screw Punch to make three holes.


We chose to reclaim an old poster to make the cover. Then he selected pink string for the binding.


Of course he doesn't know how to tie knots but he concentrated very hard on this for a few minutes before passing it over to me for the knot.


I think the scissors were his favorite part.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is soooo cute.......... what a nice job - that's like me teaching my girlie to play with the pliers or knitting needles. :-)

Nathalie said...

How sweet is this!!! Congrats on passing on the torch to your son :-) I'm sure he will be making many more beautiful books to continue your family tradition :)

Kristin Saegaert said...

So cool! Just a the other day my 5 year olds made their first 3 hole pamphlet book! That's just awesome for 2!!!! He'll be doing the coptic in no time!

Valerie said...

so so cute! Congrats to both of you, the master and her pupil :)

Cassie said...

How wonderful!! My 10 year old niece asked me to make her a book making kit for Christmas. I love to see kids interested in any craft. (especially books!)

MyHandboundBooks said...

aw thanks everybody!
of course, he had a lot of help that isn't visible in the photos since i had to take my hands away to operate the camera lol!

BWK Art said...

Aww, that's so cute. He did a great job! :)

Kim said...

Letting the next generation discover the joy of creating is so important. We are all artists as children, unafraid to try things, and somewhere we lose the daring. Vivat! for your teaching!

Maiko said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW