Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Woodblock Letterpress printing - 3

Someone mentioned that I never showed a picture of those Christmas cards after printing the second colour. "Merry" was printed first in black, then "Christmas" was printed on top in silver. So here's how they turned out - some were printed on red and some on white...obviously.


After those were done, I started another project using a different kind of press. Here is one of the Dawson Printshop's parlor presses, all inked up with red right now.


This is a Kelsey parlour press; it is a table top press and it is entirely manual. Using this was much different than the comparably gigantic proof press that I was using before. Niko was explaining to me that these small parlor presses were really common in Victorian times when printing was a popular hobby and people just wanted to have one in their home, and of course they kept it in the parlor. So I used this press to print a cover for a notebook. I printed the second colour on them last night so now they are just drying and I'll make them into notebooks and show off a finished one here soon. We have one class left - I've already started something to keep me busy during those last three hours.

8 comments:

Cindy Leaders said...

Very nice, Rhonda! They look beautiful and super professional. Good job!

Emerson Bindery said...

Awesome job! Your cards look fabulous!

Angie said...

Ooh, love, love the cards. Looks like you are having lots of fun while you learn!

MyHandboundBooks said...

thanks, ladies!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done!

Carol said...

Lovely cards. Wish I lived on your side of the world, I'd love to do a course with Niko.

DebsArt said...

I just love the art of letterpress. I am hoping to do a course when I get to NZ. Looking forward to seeing the books.

MyHandboundBooks said...

thanks Margaret, Carol, and Deb!