Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"The time has come," the Walrus said,

"To talk of many things:
Of needles--and threads--and cutting mats--
Of linoleum--and inks--
And why the boards are warping so--
And if the papers will shrink."


With apologies to Lewis Carroll.

Actually, the time has come for me to pack my bags and leave for Arrowmont!


I am going to Paper and Book Intensive in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. From the 14th to the 25th, I'll be participating in the following courses:

Mexican Inquisition Trial Documents with Gillian Boal
The subject of this course is the leather binding used to assemble manuscript trial records, or processos, created during the Mexican Inquisition.

Introduction to Marbling and Suminagashi with Nancy Morains
This class will provide an introduction to the basic techniques for both paper marbling and the Japanese technique of suminagashi, two methods for applying water-based surface decoration to paper.

Think It/Ink It - Basic Printmaking for Book Artists with Matthew Liddle
This workshop will cover a variety of printmaking techniques that can be used for single prints and bookworks, as well as multiple editions.

I will be sure to document my adventures here on the blog either throughout the course, or soon afterwards, depending on the amount of time I have for such things. I am looking forward to this very much - can hardly believe the time has come. Whooooo. (But I'm leaving my guys behind, I will miss them!! Oh, 12 days seems like such a long time to be away, ack!)

2 comments:

Carol said...

I can't think of anything more wonderful than going to Arrowmont - you will have a really great time. How did you manage to choose from all those wonderful courses? Can't wait to see your next few blogs.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you! I've often drooled over the lineups for the Paper & Book Intensive. It will fun to hear about your experience there. Take pics!