Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Book #357

Piano-hinged Collapsible Star

The structure of today's book is another one that Hedi Kyle devised for using the piano hinge technique to attach the folded textblock and two separate cover sheets. I had this technique on my list, from very early in my 365 bindings endeavor but messed it up several times; however, after some experimentation, I think I finally got it to come together as intended. There are instructions for this structure in Keith Smith's book, Non-adhesive Binding Vol 1.

3 comments:

Carley Biblin said...

This looks super interesting. Are there any online tutorials or more mainstream books (such as one a library would have) that you know of?

MyHandboundBooks said...

The only instructions that I have seen are in Keith Smith's book. Some libraries carry his books - if your local library doesn't have it, you can ask them to get it from another library using inter-library loan. Public libraries are usually very good about that sort of thing :)

MyHandboundBooks said...

The instructions are in Smith's first book, Non-adhesive Bindings: Books Without Paste or Glue (Vol. 1).