Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Book #345

Flat Loop

Today's book and the three subsequent bindings that I have ready, are all techniques used when sewing on flat supports. These techniques are discussed in Smith's book Bookbinding for Book Artists and he gives credit to Betsy Palmer Eldridge for teaching him. The first one that I am showing today is called just flat loop and the thread loops around the sewing supports - creating a double thickness of thread on the inside of each signature. It provides the benefit of adding swell when you need it, and it locks the thread in place at each support as well.

2 comments:

MiataGrrl said...

I'm reading your posts backwards. . . now I see the instruction reference. Thanks! All of these covers look very simple and clean. Please talk about them or show more details?

- Tina

MyHandboundBooks said...

Hi Tina, thanks for visiting my blog! It is not my intention to provide instructions for all the different books that I make - but there are a LOT of good resources available and I try to include specific resources whenever I can. Keith Smith's books are very thorough albeit quite technical and not a lot of pretty pictures. Books by Shareen LaPlantz, Alisa Golden and Gabrielle Fox, like this one Handmade Books, are a little more flashy with coloured photos and illustrations etc, and still very good instructions. Most public libraries have a few bookbinding books, or can get them for you through inter-library loan from other libraries if you can't afford to buy them. There are a lot of online tutorials and Youtube videos too although they are more hit-and-miss as to quality of information.