Monday, June 02, 2014

The month of May

It is surprising that I did not post anything on my blog during the month of May since May was actually a very busy time for me in the world of bookbinding and related activities! So I will try to catch up now with a quick review.

First, I went to Paper and Book Intensive at the OxBow School of Art and Artist's Residency, in Saugatuck, Michigan. This is a ten-day session of intensive book arts workshops and this was my fifth time attending the annual event. During PBI, I took three classes. Gold Finishing taught by Sam Fein­stein. Three Case Bindings for Editions, taught by Priscilla Spitler. And Embossed leather bindings, taught by Bon­nie Stahlecker. I will post detailed reviews of these classes soon, once I have a chance to collect my notes and photos.

While I was away, I was able to cross off a small thing on my personal bucket list. I found myself driving through Ann Arbor, Michigan and so I was able to go to Hollander's retail store. I have shopped online with Hollander's periodically in the past, but had never actually been to the store. So now I've been there, and it was FABULOUS. If you are anywhere near Ann Arbour, then you should really check it out. Here's a photo I took, showing one aisle of paper. This is a small sample of what they have. And they have more than just paper. But certainly lots of paper!

After PBI, I spent a few days in Cleveland, Ohio and taught two workshops at The Morgan Conservatory. While in Cleveland, I also visited the Cleveland Art Museum. The Morgan Conservatory, the workshops I was teaching, and the visit to the CAM will all be featured in upcoming blog posts as soon as I get my thoughts in order. Lots to share with you over the next few weeks!

4 comments:

Lucia Sasaki said...

Hi Rhonda, thanks for updating.
Your post is so inspiring, I think it is so good learning new things and teaching. For me it is a so noble process.
Thanks again!

MyHandboundBooks said...

Thanks Lucia!

Lisa said...

As an Ann Arbor resident, welcome to the city. Hollander's is a treasure and I'm so glad you enjoyed. If you make your way back, check out the store Found, just upstairs from Hollander's they don't have a lot of paper, but they have a lot of coolness.

MyHandboundBooks said...

thanks Lisa! I went upstairs and I think I was in Found. I checked out several other shops while I was in that building.