Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Paper Engineering

At PBI, I also had a class with Carol Barton, doing paper engineering...otherwise known as pop-up and moveable books. Carol is, of course, the queen of pop-ups. Carol has some books about making pop-ups, The Pocket Paper Engineer Volumes 1, 2, and 3.

We spent our time making about a million different pop-up structures (ok, I'm exaggerating, but only a little bit). We started with the basics, like little pop-up squares and triangles that are very common and often used in cards and accordion books, etc. and we worked our way through all their variations, moved on to more elaborate props and platforms that can be built up higher and higher, and even did a few 3-D shapes by the end of it.

My favorite of the single shapes, the star (good thing I wrote "star" on this sample so I'd know what it was...)


Also really enjoyed making these little accordions...


And a sample of combining different shapes and structures...


Carol was a great teacher, be sure to grab any chance of taking a class with her. And thank you, Carol, for helping me find my gate at the airport as I rushed to catch my flight!

2 comments:

Jana said...

Very cool! Wish we had neat book and paper art classes in south Jersey!

MyHandboundBooks said...

Thanks, it was a lot of fun! Nothing like this handy where I live either - had to fly to a different country to take these classes :)