Monday, May 09, 2011

Flip Books on a rainy afternoon

My kid came home from school today with a little kit for making a flip book. I don't think he was prepared for my level of excitement. It was, in fact, touted as a "cartoon creator" and the packaging and instruction sheet never used the term flip book. I suppose, a cartoon creator kit sounds more exciting to 6-year-olds! I showed him a flip book that I got from Green Chair Press and then we attempted to make a few of our own. So now we have a stick-man who drops his hat and picks it up, and a rocket circling Saturn. When I have time, I'll definitely want to try a more refined flip book someday!

3 comments:

Lizzie said...

How lovely to do a project like this together - and how great that you had another person's project, that you could share with your kid. I'm impressed that school are encouraging him to make stuff like this - whatever can be done to engage children's creativity and imagination...
I like the idea of the man dropping/picking up a hat and the rocket going round and round Saturn - lovely subjects for a flip-book. I think I might like to try one now... how about a worm coming out of a hole, eating a leaf, going into a hole.... (a bit more expanded of course!) Hmmm...

MyHandboundBooks said...

thanks Lizzie! I agree, so many possibilities :)

PrairiePeasant said...

What a great thing to do with kids! I made one for each of my girls a few years back, with a stab binding, and they still love them!