I tried another blanket stitch today. This time it is done using split tapes as supports. This is actually an entirely different stitch than the blanket stitch that i tried a few days ago. On this one, the beading is formed after the sewing is complete whereas the other blanket stitch creates the little beading as it is sewn.
I like the idea of this particular binding and it seems more structurally sound than the unsupported blanket stitch; although, I found it incredibly frustrating when my sections wouldn't stay aligned! I went to great lengths to ensure that I had the sewing stations all punched correctly and wonderfully aligned, but the sewing process caused the sections to go askew anyway. Hurmph. I'm sure subsequent attempts would prove to be more aesthetically satisfying than this one. I was especially unsatisfied with the board attachments on this, but...enh...the next one will be better.