Thursday, August 23, 2007

Using Leather Scraps

I was going to call this post "scrap booking" just for fun, but decided that I didn't want to attract the wrong crowd. Scrap booking bothers me - because it shouldn't be a verb and i really think it is just a big money grab for the people making the "supplies" - $1.75 for a single 12x12 sheet of paper??? Wouldn't real "memory items" like your actual ticket stubs be a better keepsake than some fabricated die-cut pretend ticket stubs? Come on.

Oh, that rant really has nothing to do with anything. Apologies to all scrappers.


Sometimes I need to do something different, and sometimes I feel like trying to use some of the small pieces of leather that accumulate around me. So I've made this bunch of books using leather scraps. I think the red book is my favorite of these.

I arranged and adhered the various pieces onto some nice St Armand handmade paper, then pressed them and let them dry for several days. Before making the books, I also coated the covers with PVA (!) then sprayed them with an acrylic matte spray. That seems to consolidate all the different pieces. And just for fun, when everything else was done, I used glitter glue to outline the blocks on the blue book.

For a change, I suppose structure wasn't my main concern this time around. So I kept the binding simple; all are bound with a very simple longstitch and link stitch combination.

12 comments:

Clara said...

Rhonda, I'm always impressed that you are so immensely prolific. How many books would you say you average a week?

MyHandboundBooks said...

Hmmmm, I think I completed 13 books this week. I don't always spend so much time in the studio but since my overall objective is selling the journals, i have been trying to build up a supply for the approaching shopping season.

But I do work quickly for a couple reasons. First of all, I favor book styles that I can do quickly! Secondly, I am not an artist. Artists are likely to devote far more time to a single book because it is more than just a book. My books are just books :-)

maiko said...

they look awesome! it always feels so nice finding a use for scraps :D

MyHandboundBooks said...

so true, maiko! thanks :)

Clara said...

Thirteen books this week is stupendous. And anyone who has seen your books (even those, like me, who have seen them only one-dimensionally onscreen)can see that you're an artist.

MyHandboundBooks said...

Thanks, Clara. Perhaps, due to my denial, I benefit from some efficiencies and freedoms that allow me to be more prolific.

Anonymous said...

I love your books with leather covers! I am trying to make my own sketchbooks, but i have trouble to find good leather. In Belgium I don't know where to buy the leather.

MyHandboundBooks said...

hi miroki, thanks! i can't buy leather locally either. i buy it all on Ebay, and most of it is from the USA. Although if you just want to experiment, discarded leather coats and skirts can make nice books too.

Vicki said...

Hi Rhonda

Great idea for using up left over leather. I have been wondering how to sew it together - I will give your method a go. I am having a go at tanning some cane toads (big pest here) and since they are pretty small I will need to use multiple to cover a book.

MyHandboundBooks said...

hi vicki. Wow, toad leather!

I have tried a few things. These ones here are all just attached to some thick handmade paper and then "sealed" basically.

At other times I have used some stitching, as well as attaching to the paper backing. Here is an example where i used artificial sinew for stitches:
www3.ns.sympatico.ca/pertelote/1.jpg

Also, I have tried some more subtle sticthing like this:
www3.ns.sympatico.ca/pertelote/2.jpg

Come back and tell me how it goes with the toads, i'd love to hear about it!

Vicki said...

Will do Rhonda. I just took the skins out of the tan today, next step to dry and condition them and work out whether I want to dye any of them before I start.
Really love your site - I also like the renaissance bindings but haven't gotten into the limp leather bindings yet due to the cost - I'm not sure my market goers with part with the appropriate amount of cash for a leather journal.

Leather Coats said...

nice post love reading it.